Our Family Genealogy Pages

Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames
Search
First Name:


Last Name:



Histories

» Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»     » Slide Show

History of the Clan Chisholm

The history of the vessel Clan Chisholm, part of the Clan Lane. Built and launched on the Clyde in 1896.




Photograph: Clan Chisholm (steamer on the right hand side of the jetty) docked at an unidentified wharf. Circa 1910 - 1930.
Licensed from and used with the permission of the The Press (Christchurch) Collection, Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand.

From: Marsh-Maritime Museum [mailto:marsh@iziko.org.za]
Sent: 25 June 2008 13:10
To: Craig W Walsh
Subject: Clan Chisholm

Dear Craig

With reference to your enquiry regarding the FUKKO MARU / ex CLAN CHISHOLM. I am sending you the following data regarding her:

Type Steel screw steamer
Official Number (O.N.) 106017
Code Letters PJWM
Shipbuilders Alexander Stephen & Sons
Linthouse, Glasgow
Yard Number 366
Engines T3-cylinder by the shipbuilders; 313 NHP
Launched 30 June 1896
Owners Cayzer, Irvine & Co. - Clan Line
109 Hope Street, Glasgow
Port of Registry Glasgow
Flag British
Gross Registered Tonnage 2,647
Net Registered Tonnage 1,690
Length 312 feet 5 inches
Breadth 40 feet 2 inches
Depth 23 feet 5 inches

During her lifetime in World War 1, she was on several occasions attacked by U-boats, but drove them off with gunfire. As a matter of fact, in November 1916 she almost sank U49. She then was on a voyage to South Africa with general cargo. In 1924 she was sold to Nippon Kaiun K.K. Yokohama, Japan and renamed FUKKO MARU. On 7 February 1926 she stranded at Katsuura near Tokyo and subsequently became a total loss.

From the Silloth Newsletter:

Silloth docks has seen some interesting ships in the past 150 years, but one of the most significant has to be the S.S. ‘Clan Chisholm’ which called in May 1914. The arrival of the vessel brought crowds of visitors and residents down to the port, to witness the arrival of one of the largest ships to have visited Silloth. The event was described in the Carlisle Journal on 29 May 1914, this was the report “The docks are always a source of interest to those visiting Silloth, but this week they will contain an even greater attraction than usual. This is the steamship ‘Clan Chisholm’ which has brought a cargo of Guano from one of the Seychelles Islands. What is likely to appeal to visitors is the crew, most of whom are Lascars. Already they have greatly interested the residents, who are somewhat familiar with foreign crews, so that they
should appeal more to visitors”.

The ‘Clan Chisholm’ was a steamer of 2,647 gross tons and was operated by the well known Scottish shipping firm ‘Clan Line’. Her cargo was destined for the chemical works, which imported Guano as a fertilizer. The ship would have made an impressive sight at the port, so does any reader have an old picture or postcard of her?

Stephen Wright

The funnel of the Clan Line (at left). For more information about Cayzer, Irvine & Co. Ltd, please see The Ships List.



The photo, below, is an enlarged section --- showing the Clan Chisholm --- from the photo shown on the top of this page.


The Clan Chissholm in East London. (Below) The water in the foreground is the Buffalo River. This photograph is from the collection of Iziko Museums of Cape Town, Iziko Maritime Centre, John H Marsh Maritime Research Centre, Union-Castle Building, V & A Waterfront, Cape Town, South Africa - www.rapidttp.co.za/museum - and is used with their kind permission.



File nameHistory Of The Clan Chisholm
File Size
Linked toFrancis William Wilson

» Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»     » Slide Show